- music from Wales and beyond TCR024
Adra (home) is the debut album from Chris Roberts. It takes the ancient bardic music of Wales as a foundation, placing it alongside Welsh folk song, West African music, and contemporary classical composition.
Adra ydy albwm cyntaf Chris Roberts. Mae’n cymryd cerdd dant hynafol Cymru fel ei sylfaen gan ei gosod ochr yn ochr â chanu gwerin Cymru, cerddoriaeth o Orllewin Affrica a chyfansoddi clasurol cyfoes.
Chris Roberts studied at Cardiff University School of Music, where he graduated with first class honours; and Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, where he was taught by Mark Eden. Throughout his education he was awarded numerous prizes and bursaries, for both performance and pedagogy. He is passionate about access to music – the reason he founded, and is artist director of, the annual Cardiff Guitar Festival, a nine-day programme of concerts, educational courses and outreach events.
2. Hummingbird – Jamie Smith arr. Chris Roberts [5:18]
3. Gosteg yr Halen – Robert ap Huw MS, trans. Peter Greenhill [6:32]
4. Hiraeth am Nefoedd – Anselm McDonnell [12:05]
5. Profiad y Botwm – Robert ap Huw MS, trans. Peter Greenhill [3:00]
6. Caniad y Gwyn Bibydd - Robert ap Huw MS, trans. Peter Greenhill [2:19]
7. Duga – Tunde Jegede [5:04]
8. Cinquante Six – Ali Farka Touré, arr. Derek Gripper [4:27]
9. Caniad Bach ar y Go Gywair – Robert ap Huw MS, trans. Peter Greenhill [14:42]
10. Beach – Joel Järventausta [5:07]