pathway to writing for movement & engagement with professional learning-disabled actors
Five composers/sound artists from a broad stylistic range were recruited to work in the Hijinx Academies – which train professional learning-disabled actors in Aberystwyth, Cardiff, Carmarthen and Prestatyn. Lead composer Tic Ashfield will provide mentoring in writing for movement / theatre / dance; support in working in a learning-disabled training setting will come from local choreographers and course leaders.
The selected artists will be resident in their local Academy for one session per week (see schedule below), creating a work for the Academy actors to perform with in their end-of-term sharing – and potentially in the organisation’s annual showcase.
The participants will realise the sound for the final performance (no additional budget is available for this element), so artists must consider how this will work in their case (eg: electronic, self-performed keyboard; singer-songwriter; percussion).
w/c 06.01.20 Weekly rehearsals begin
- South Wales 1 (Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff): Monday & Tuesday 10:00 - 16:00
- South Wales 2 (Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff): Wednesday & Thursday 10:00 - 16:00
- North Wales (Nova Centre, Prestatyn): Monday & Tuesday 10:00 - 16:00
- West Wales (Lyric Theatre, Carmarthen) Thursday & Friday 10:00 - 16:00
- Mid Wales (Aberystwyth Arts Centre) Monday times 09:30 - 15:30
Mon 30.03.20 Sharing performance (Mid Wales Academy, Aberyswyth)
Tue 31.03.20 Sharing performance (North Wales Academy, Prestatyn)
Fri 03.04.20 Sharing performance (West Wales Academy, Carmarthen)
Tue 07.04.20 Sharing performance (South Wales Academy 1, Cardiff)
Thu 09.04.20 Sharing performance (South Wales Academy 2, Cardiff)